Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Death By Installment

Death By Installment

Two nights ago, I woke suddenly in the middle of the night with a pervading eerie feeling. I was at a loss why I had to feel this way. I remembered returning home from work that day in good spirit and, equally retired to bed feeling good. Then, why was I feeling this way? To crack the source of this feeling, I decided to relieve the events in the dream I had that night and, guess what? I became very sad when images came flooding back to memory. Images that was a direct consequence of the actions of man on our environment. I saw water submerging lands, earthquakes, unbearable heat, disease, famine, and deaths in a proportion never experienced before in the modern world. The scenario was so frightening.
You may dismiss this just as my friends did. Some called it ‘just a mere dream,’ while some said I was simply hallucinating. But the import of that dream, and rightly so, is that our earth is dying install mentally, and man, unfortunately is facilitating this demise.
Sometimes I wonder whether truly man is the most intelligent being on earth, because intelligent people will not so brutally assault the very environment that supports their existence. Presently, we glibly talk about the green house effect, depletion of the ozone layer, massive deforestation, extensive pollution of land and water, climate change etc, as if it really doesn't matter. Obviously, we have been paying less attention about these fundamental and far reaching changes that, may spell doom for the continued existence of man on earth if, we do not wake up to the realities on ground.
It is quite unfortunate that man, that have achieved so much through science, equally, has all along being laying mines for its own annihilation. I just pray, that the scenario in that dream, never come to pass. But, that depends on what we do next, to salvage the damage already done to our environment.
Uranta, E.

No comments: